Melissa Joy, CFP®, CDFA® is a partner at The Center. She joined The Center in 1999 and has been in the securities industry since 1998. Melissa works primarily with high net worth individuals and families. She coordinates The Center's investment management and financial planning services as Director of Wealth Management. Melissa is a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ and Certified Divorce Financial Analyst professional.
Melissa is a digital contributor to Money Magazine and is often quoted on investment-related topics for publications including the Chicago Tribune, Financial Planning, Investment News and Morningstar Advisor Magazine. She has been recognized as one of eight people and firms named to the Financial Advisor Magazine "Research All-Star" team* in 2011, 2012, and 2013. Melissa writes a quarterly Investment Commentary for The Center, is a frequent contributor to the Money Centered blog, a member of the firm's Investment Committee and Operation Committee. Melissa speaks frequently on financial planning and investment-related topics and is available for speaking appearances.
Personally, Melissa lives in Dexter with her husband Jeff and children Gus and Josie.
- Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, University of Michigan
- Certificate of Financial Planning, Boston University
- Executive Leadership Program, Inforum, a Michigan Professional Women's Alliance
- Certified Divorce Financial Analyst, Institute for Divorce Financial Analysts
Areas of Focus and Interest:
- Financial transitions and sudden money situations including divorce, inheritance and windfall
- Behavioral Finance
- Financial Planning for Executives
- Financial Planning for Women and Families
- Multigenerational Financial Planning
*Research All Star Award was based on job function of the person evaluated, fund selections and evaluation process used, study of rejected fund examples, and evaluation of challenges faced in the job and actions taken to overcome those challenges. Evaluations were independently conducted by Financial Advisor Magazine. Sudden Money is not affiliated with Raymond James.