Contributed by: Center for Financial Planning, Inc.
Melissa Joy received the Certified Divorce Financial Analyst® designation this winter from the Institute for Divorce Financial Analysts™. The designation is also referred to as CDFA®. Melissa pursued this additional education as she began to work with more clients organizing and coordinating financial affairs during and after divorce. Melissa is also a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™.
“Financial needs of those going through divorce can be complex,” Melissa said. “This divorce-specific training program adds to my general financial planning and wealth management knowledge to address the unique issues of divorcing individuals. My goal is to be able to offer my services to move beyond a divorce with successful plans to achieve personal goals with a healthy financial perspective.”
Some examples of the services that may be necessary for people going through divorce include:
- Strategy and litigation support for client and family law attorneys providing information on the financial effects of divorce.
- Financial advice on the short-term and long-term effects of dividing property including tax considerations, pension or retirement analysis, insurance needs analysis, etc.
- Assistance with budgeting and cash-flow preparation during a time of significant change.
- Help to identify future financial goals and objective advice on lifestyle choices that may assist with more successful long-term financial circumstances.
- Implement necessary adjustments to financial accounts including assistance with processing QDRO’s or asset division, suggestions for estate planning documents that need updated, and review of beneficiary designations.
Most importantly, comprehensive financial planning can be invaluable for divorcing clients. For more information on financial planning and divorce, visit our divorce resource center: http://www.centerfinplan.com/divorce.
Raymond James and its advisors do not offer tax or legal advice. You should discuss any tax or legal matters with the appropriate professional.