Nick Defenthaler, CFP® is Lead Financial Planner with Center for Financial Planning, Inc. ®. In addition to meeting with clients, Nick is the Director of The Center’s Financial Planning Department; a member of the firm’s Operation Committee, is a frequent blog contributor and also hosts many of the educational webinars The Center offers on various financial planning and investment related topics.
Nick has also been involved in a documentary with PBS on the importance of saving for retirement and has been quoted in several professional related articles for CNBC, MSN Money, Financial Planning Magazine and OnWallStreet.com. In July 2017, Nick was named to inaugural Forbes’ list of America’s Top Next-Generation Wealth Advisors.*
Nick joined The Center team in 2013 and has been involved in the financial planning profession for over a decade. Personally, Nick enjoys spending quality time outside with his wife and children and watching as many Red Wings games as possible.
Areas of Focus and Interest
- Clients within 5 years of retirement or currently in retirement
- Employer retirement plan maximization strategies (401k, Deferred Compensation, Stock Options, etc.)
- Re-creating a tax-efficient paycheck for clients in retirement
- Social Security maximization
- Pension analysis and maximization
- Portfolio decumulation
- Helping clients reduce current and future taxes through prudent planning
Education & Licensing:
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™
- Certificate of Financial Planning, College for Financial Planning
- Series 7 and Series 63 Securities Licenses
- State of Michigan Life and Health Insurance Licenses
- Bachelor of Business Administration, Finance, Eastern Michigan University
- Financial Planning Association (FPA) of Michigan
- Board Member
- NexGen Committee Founder – a group of financial planners under the age of 37 who are committed to leading the financial planning profession in the right direction
- Metro Detroit Estate Planning Council: Events committee volunteer
- Multiple Sclerosis Society Leadership Class Member (2016)
*Data provided by SHOOKTM Research, LLC Data as of 3/31/17. SHOOK Research considered advisors born in 1980 or later with a minimum 4 years relevant experience. Advisors have built their own practices and lead their teams; joined teams and are viewed as future leadership; or a combination of both. Ranking algorithm is based on qualitative measures derived from telephone and in-person interviews and surveys: service models, investing process, client retention, industry experience, review of compliance records, firm nominations, etc.; and quantitative criteria, such as assets under management and revenue generated for their firms. Investment performance is not a criteria because client objectives and risk tolerances vary, and advisors rarely have audited performance reports. Rankings are based on the opinions of SHOOK Research, LLC. Neither SHOOK nor Forbes receives compensation from the advisors or their firms in exchange for placement on a ranking. Raymond James is not affiliated with Forbes or Shook Research, LLC. This ranking is not indicative of advisor's future performance, is not an endorsement, and may not be representative of individual clients' experience. For more information see www.SHOOKresearch.com.