Many of us treasure the ability to make meaningful gifts to communities and causes close to our hearts. As I continue my monthly series on charitable giving, I wanted to help set a framework for you to ponder how the option to give fits into your life. Here are five quotes on giving that helped me to enrich my point of view. I hope they will assist you as well in anticipation of my April topic: creating your charitable statement of purpose.
- “You cannot live today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” John Bunyan, writer and preacher
- “No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anne Frank
- “What is the use of living, if not be to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?” Winston Churchill
- “It is one of the beautiful compensations of this life that no one can sincerely try to help another without helping himself.” Charles Dudley Warner, novelist
- “It is more difficult to give away money intelligently than to earn it in the first place.” Andrew Carnegie
- “An effort made for the happiness of others lifts us above ourselves.” Lydia Maria Child, American abolitionist
- “If service is the rent you pay for your existence on this earth, are you behind on your rent?” Robert G Allen, author
- “It's really one of my all-time favorite things to do. To go out and really see the kids and visit the moms who are in these programs because I think I really get to see what happens on the ground and connect with them about what changes are that happen in their lives because of some of the giving that we're able to do.” Melinda Gates, philanthropist
- “I'm not doing my philanthropic work, out of any kind of guilt, or any need to create good public relations. I'm doing it because I can afford to do it, and I believe in it.” George Soros, investor
- “I don't think you ever stop giving. I really don't. I think it's an on-going process. And it's not just about being able to write a check. It's being able to touch somebody's life.” Oprah Winfrey
Melissa Joy, CFP®is Partner and Director of Investments at Center for Financial Planning, Inc. In 2011 and 2012, Melissa was honored by Financial Advisor magazine in the inaugural Research All Star List. In addition to her frequent contributions to Money Centered blogs, she writes frequent investment updates at The Center and is regularly quoted in national media publications including The Chicago Tribune, Investment News, and Morningstar Advisor.
Financial Advisor magazine's inaugural Research All Star List is based on job function of the person evaluated, fund selections and evaluation process used, study of rejected fund examples, and evaluation of challenges faced in the job and actions taken to overcome those challenges. Evaluations are independently conducted by Financial Advisor Magazine.